Click here to contact Rex Gunter
Rex Gunter is highly respected at the courthouse as a lawyer who can get things done. He has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by his peers. Rex is a former Director of the Dallas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association as well as a member of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association.
Rex has lectured on the subject of testifying in criminal cases and witness preparation. He has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law and Society at Southern Methodist University.
Rex was born and raised in Dallas. After graduating at the age of sixteen from Skyline High School, Rex attended and graduated from Southern Methodist University, making the Dean’s List while holding down a full time job and raising his first child.
Rex graduated from St. Mary’s College of Law in San Antonio and began his career in Criminal Law when he was hired by the legendary Dallas County District Attorney Henry Wade. Rex has been in private practice for over twenty years, almost exclusively handling Criminal matters.
Areas of Practice
100% Criminal Law
100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1984
Recent Cases and Outcomes
- Possession of a Controlled Substance. Probation granted to a Dallas client despite possessing over 175 grams of cocaine and a gun.
- White Collar Fraud. Case dismissed against a Garland client after diligent discovery.
- Obtaining a Controlled Substance by Fraud. Prosecutor dismissed the charge after setting it for trial.
- Possession of a Controlled Substance. Deferred adjudication probation granted to a California woman in possession of over 400 grams of drugs.
- Felony Possession of a Criminal Instrument. Convinced Detective not to file against a Mesquite youth.
- DWI 1st. Case dismissed.
- DWI 1st. Case dismissed even though there was an accident and .10 breath test result.
- DWI 1st. Not Guilty Verdict.
- Felony DWI. 30 days house arrest.
- DWI 1st. Case dismissed even with .11 breath test result.
- DWI 2nd. No jail time and no probation.
- DWI 1st Not Guilty with a .15 blood test result.
- Felony DWI. Convinced Grand Jury to No Bill the case.
- DWI 1st. Irving client involved in accident had his case dismissed.
- DWI 1st. Dallas businessman arrested on Greenville Avenue. Case dismissed.
- Felony Theft. Charge reduced to misdemeanor against client with numerous priors.
- Felony Possession of a Controlled Substance. Reduced to a misdemeanor.
- Felony DWI. Mesquite client’s case reduced to a misdemeanor and given probation, despite being in an accident.
- Felony DWI. Dallas client who works in a doctor’s office. Case was reduced to a misdemeanor, given 90 days house arrest.